Pursuant to RI General Laws § 11-18-32, § 11-49.3, and § 38-2-2 sub-§ 4(U), and as part of our commitment to intellectual freedom, it is the policy of Cross’ Mills Public Library to protect the confidentiality of patron records and the privacy of patron interest and inquiry. Privacy is essential to free speech, free thought, and free association. Confidentiality extends to all records with identifying information about patrons, including their borrowing records, requests for information, materials, and their loan transactions. It also includes their use of library computers, all electronic and print resources they access, and items related to library programs and services. Cross’ Mills Public Library will keep patron records confidential and will not disclose this information except as necessary to library staff and vendors for the proper operation of the library, upon consent of the user, pursuant to a subpoena or court order, or as otherwise required by law.
The only exception to this policy is for minors. Parents or legal guardians of children under age 13 may have access to information on their child’s library card. Parents or guardians of 13 to 17 year olds may have access to their child’s library record only as necessary to settle their child’s financial obligation to the library.
Board approved: May 19, 2020
- Mission Statement and Service Policy
- Library Patron Code of Conduct
- Circulation Policy
- Displays and Exhibits Policy
- Computer, Internet, and Wireless Use Policy
- Fundraising and Donations Policy
- Materials Selection Policy
- Social Media Policy
- Unattended Children Policy
- Use of the Library by Outside Groups
- Anonymous Letters Addressed to the Board of Trustees
- Photography, Filming, and Video Policy